Thursday, May 5, 2011

The MRI and the details

This morning my phone rang at 7:15 am and even though I was still half asleep (okay, completely asleep) I knew exactly who it would be. Ever since we scheduled our MRI several weeks ago I have been praying that there would be a cancellation so that we could do the MRI sooner. Who else would call me at 7:15? Sure enough, there was a 90 min time slot open, perfect!
Unfortunately the MRI had to be scheduled in the first place because of some new problems that have popped up with Carson. 6 weeks ago we have discovered some sudden bowel/bladder changes. This can be a concern because it can indicate that there's a tethered cord. Carson's neurosurgeon decided to issue an MRI to take a closer look at his spine to check on the tethering among some other things.
Coincidently we also recently had an appointment with Carson's orthopedic surgeon who detected minor scoliosis in the thoracic portion of his spine. It may not be serious but it may be a symptom of some changes going on in his central nervous system. The scoliosis could be a symptom of a tethered cord, his syrinx (hydrocephalus, or fluid, in his spine), or his chiari (a malformation of the cerebellum in his brain). So as you can see it's quite complicated. The new problems we're seeing in Carson could be symptoms of several issues.
Hopefully the MRI will give us a good direction if there needs to be some sort of surgical intervention, but most of the time the results are used as "one piece of the puzzle." I'm hoping and praying however, that with the help of the MRI we will have a simple, clear direction in terms of how we should proceed with his current issues.
Overall, the day went pretty well. The challenging part was denying him food until his MRI at 2pm. By the time we entered the hospital that was pretty much the only thing on his mind. Other than that, everything went well and I'm glad to have it all behind us.
For the past few years we have certainly had our share of "the unexpected," yet it is always hard to get used to. These past few weeks have been stressful dealing with the new symptoms and changes with Carson. And although I try to be proactive and meticulous with his care I am reminded that there are many aspects of his condition that are simply out of my control. It's a hard lesson every time and I'm trying to trust God that He is in control.
Now we are eagerly anticipating the follow-up appointment with Carson's neurosurgeon. Please keep us in your prayers.


Jess said...

We love you guys!!! We are praying, praying, praying, that all goes well with the followup!!
lots of prayers!
Jordan and Jess

Jill said...

I know exactly how scary those MRI's can be. The uncertainty is horrid. What's better - having a problem that requires surgery, or getting no answer for the problems?? Lots of prayers for an MRI that gives a simple and solvable answer.

Joanna said...

Praying for positive results and clear direction on where to go from here. It' so hard to wait. And the unknown - ugh. But you have an amazing little guy that I'm sure will come through any trial with a smile on his face. :) Hang in there and keep us posted!

Dave said...

Thanks for the update. I'm praying for your family, and Carson is blessed to have concerned parents like both of you!

Adrienne, Scott, Hanna and Hayden Trigg said...

We really hope to meet you at the conference this year. Praying that you get the answers that you need for Carson with his MRI. He looks great though. Can't believe how big he is. He looks so much bigger than my Hayden who just turned 2 in Feb.