Unfortunately we had a disappointing appointment yesterday. Carson's recent head ultrasound indicated hydrocephalus, a fluid increasement in Carson's ventricles in his head. Hydrocephalus is controlled by a surgically placed shunt in the brain. The shunt is attached to a tube which empties the excess fluid into the stomach. Because Carson had some extra fluid he now has an appointment in two weeks to get a CT scan. This will show a 3-D image of Carson's ventricles so they can better understand his situation. The CT scan will determine if Carson needs a shunt or if we still will undergo some more waiting and watching. If they decide that a shunt is necessary the surgery will be scheduled for the following week. In other words, it's a possibility that Carson will have this surgery in three weeks.
The idea of putting Carson through another surgery breaks my heart, we were hoping that when we brought him home it was for good. The surgery itself and what it could mean for Carson's life is also scary. Typically people who have shunts undergo shunt revisions throughout their lives. A shunt revision is a surgery to fix a clogged tube, or an infection. Some people need many revisions and some a few to none. We're told that if you don't notice the symptoms of shunt failure it is fatal.
We always knew that a shunt surgery was a probable possibility for Carson, but obviously we were hoping he would be one of the lucky ones who didn't need one; and of course it's possible that he still may be. Hopefully we will know in two weeks.
Nate and I always remark how fortunate we are to live in a country during a time period where these life saving measures are obtainable to us. We are so thankful that we have access to the things that Carson needs and that we can provide those things.
Please pray that in two weeks the CT will reveal less fluid and that Carson will not need a shunt.